is a microchip?
The chip is totally passive. Not until the low frequency radio wave from the scanner is passed over the chip does it become active. The number then appears on the LCD of the scanner.
There are various types of microchips in the market place, most of which can be read by our FDX A/FDX B ISO reader.
1. Using the scanner
The best way to scan is to hold the scanner horizontally with it lightly brushing the animal's coat. Begin scanning SLOWLY over the animal's implant site, using small circular motions from left to right and around the area.
· Please note - it is very important to continue scanning the
animal all over the body if the chip is not detected in the normal site.
Microchipping, particularly dogs and cats, is a simple straightforward subcutaneous injection. Be sure to implant the microchip in the cavity between the scapulea (shoulder blades).
3. Implant procedure
- Scan the microchip before opening the packet and confirm that the number matches the bar code.
- Remove the needle from the packet, and holding the gun in the hand you will use to implant, attach the needle to the gun. Ensure that the bevel in the needle is facing you
The M4S Implant gun and needle
***Photo showing correct implant site for dogs
· The entry point of the needle is just beneath your thumb and forefinger, at an angle of about 30 degrees. It is important that you chip towards the animal's head, and only expel the chip when the needle is between the scapulae.
· Using gentle pressure with the implant gun, insert the needle into the animal. The shape of the needle makes a small cut in the skin, allowing the needle to pass through.
· Once the needle is completely in the animal (up to the plastic hilt), squeeze the trigger on the gun. This causes the plunger to push the spacer in the needle, thus implanting the chip into the animal.
· When extracting the needle from the animal, it can create suction. This can sometimes lead to the chip working its way back out. To prevent this, ensure that you pinch the skin around the needle when you withdraw it. When the needle has been removed, apply finger pressure on the entry site for a few seconds.